Saturday, July 20, 2013

Huron River - Hudson Mills Metropark, Dexter MI

A nice day of fly fishing - Wet-waded upstream on the Huron River at Hudson Mills Metropark. Met 4 or 5 fly fishers on the river, and about 100 tubers and kayakers. Was only run into by one tube - no casualties. Started the day with a #6 Blue Shenandoah Popper on the end of a 12' bonefish leader. After my first few casts, I shortened the leader to 9' and added a short 3X tippet. Casting was easy, and the popper went where I wanted -- but the fish didn't notice it. I switched to a black #6 Parachute Ant with brown rubber legs. Again I was snubbed. After spotting a couple of bass cruising past (including one hefty 15" smallie who swam right under my fly and kept going) I decided to switch to a sub-surface rig. So I tied on my biggest nymph, a #6 Yellow Stonefly - and added a bit of indicator putty about 2' above the fly. Again, the rig cast nicely, but this time it paid off by giving me a few hits from curious bluegills. After dodging a few more tubes, I decided to call it a day.

No comments: